Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Scholar's Journey

Hi there readers,


My name is Herrick Erickson-Brigl, an aspiring writer in the fiction genres.  I created this blog to promote my writing works and to throw them out to the world, reveal my thoughts on trends, ideas, new inventions, movies, books, and video games.

A little about me:  I am a graduate of the University of Advancing Technology with a bachelors of arts in video game design.  Currently, I am writing two books, a sci-fi action book and a fantasy, mystery, action book.  The fantasy book is coming along quite nicely and I cannot wait to talk about what will be going into the book to you guys.

Today, I will talk about my philosophies for writing fight scenes.  First and foremost, I believe in writing action with a real ooomph to it.  If you punch a person in the face, why stop there?

Example: I smashed him in the face with my fist and slammed his head through a concrete wall, then as his head ricocheted off the hard edge, I palmed his skull into my hand, and pile drove it through the tile floor.

Do you see what I did there? If he was a normal man, do you think he would get up?  (Or want to?)

This is just my style though and I hope that demonstrated my philosophy for fight scenes.  Why should I stop at the norm when I can push it farther, without making it graphic and obscene?


I do make a distinction; writing should be done with a purpose in mind.  If there is to be violence, I want to make it raw, visceral, and violent.  However, I want you to be focused on the archaic beauty of the scene and not the aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment